Skip to main content

My I-751 was approved but my green card was never delivered. What should I do?

A mail alert

If your I-751 petition was approved but your green card was not delivered (but the case status says that it was delivered), you should reach out to USCIS as soon as possible to find out what happened with the green card. This blog post will discuss the options you have while you wait for the new green card.

I need to travel soon, what should I do?

If you need to travel internationally soon, you should call USCIS as soon as possible to get an I-551 stamp so you can travel internationally – they will either schedule an infopass appointment, or mail you the I-551 stamp. Please see our blog post that discusses I-551 stamps over mail here.

The I-551 stamp will allow you to travel internationally and will also serve as evidence of your right to work in the U.S.

I never received my green card. What should I do to get a new one?

If you have not received the green card, but the case status shows that it was mailed/delivered to you, you should reach out to USCIS as soon as possible. You should speak with a Customer service representative and ask on which address it was mailed and whether their records show that it was delivered.

If the card was not delivered and it comes back to USCIS as undeliverable, they may be able to send it to you again to a correct address (if it was for example sent to an incorrect address before). However, if the case status shows that the green card was delivered (but you did not get it in the mail), there is nothing USCIS can do and you will need to file Form I-90.

I am filing the I-90 form. What reason for filing should I select?

a) I never received my green card, but it was never returned as undeliverable to USCIS

If the card was mailed to the address you provided, the case status shows that it was delivered (but you did not receive it), but it was never returned as undeliverable to USCIS, you will need to file Form I-90.

In this case unfortunately, you will also need to pay the I90 filing and the biometrics fees. You should select the following reason for applying: “My previous card has been lost, stolen, or destroyed” and explain that you never received the card.

b) You never received your card

If you never received your green card and it was returned to USCIS as undeliverable, you should try calling USCIS to see if they can send you the same card again. If for any reason they are not able to do that, you would need to file Form I-90 and select the following reason for applying (My previous card was issued but never received). In this case, the good news is that you would not have to pay the filling and biometrics fee.

Based on our recent experience, we recommend filing the I-90 Form online, as you will most likely get a decision much faster than if you file the paper version. As mentioned above, if you need to travel while waiting for your new card, you should call USCIS and ask to get an I-551 stamp.

Please read our blog post on whether you can apply for a US citizenship while your I-751 petition is pending here.

Please read our blog post on How to maintain your green card here.

FREE Visa Resources

Click on the buttons below in order to claim your free Visa Guide (E-1, E-2, TN, EB-5, H-1B, L-1, PERM, NIW, EB-1, O-1, E-3), sign up for our free Webinar, join our Facebook Group, or watch our videos.

Download FREE Visa Guide
Sign Up For Our Webinar
Join Our Facebook Group
Watch Our Videos

Set up a Visa or Green Card Consultation

For a dedicated one-on-one consultation with one of our lawyers, click on the button below to schedule your consultation.

Schedule a consultation

This website and blog constitutes attorney advertising. Do not consider anything in this website or blog legal advice and nothing in this website constitutes an attorney-client relationship being formed. Set up a one-hour consultation with us before acting on anything you read here. Past results are no guarantee of future results and prior results do not imply or predict future results. Each case is different and must be judged on its own merits.

Leave a Reply