Skip to main content

What happens if I apply for a renewal of work authorization but it’s not approved before the expiration of my current work authorization card?

By August 18, 2017April 7th, 2021Immigration
Image courtesy of Pixabay, labeled for reuse:

If you work in the U.S. based on an approved employment authorization document (EAD), it is important to note the expiration date of the card. The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) is currently taking approximately 3 months to issue renewal EAD cards. In most circumstances, if your current EAD card expires before you get your new EAD card, you will not be authorized to work until your new EAD card is approved. While you may think you can show your employer the receipt notice that you have applied for a new EAD and that should suffice, your employer actually can’t legally employ you based just on a pending renewal application; your employer needs a valid EAD card to evidence that you are authorized to lawfully work in the U.S. This can therefore cause a potentially lengthy disruption to your ability to work in the U.S.

However, there are exceptions. Employment authorization documents are issued to people who are authorized to work based on a number of different immigration classifications. You will see on your employment authorization document a letter and a number which indicates what visa category you are in. For example, if you have work authorization based on a pending asylum application, you will see on your card category (c)(8). Some EAD classifications permit for an automatic 180 day reauthorization of your expired card so long as you file for renewal before your current EAD expires and you are otherwise eligible for a renewal. Common categories that are eligible for 180 day reauthorization are:

  • Refugees: (a)(3)
  • Asylees: (a)(5)
  • Temporary Protected Status: (a)(12) or (c)(19)
  • Asylum Applications Pending: (c)(8)
  • Adjustment of Status Applications Pending: (c)(9)
  • Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) Self-Petitioners: (c)(31)

There are a few other categories which are also eligible for an automatic 180 day extension which can be found here. However, the vast majority of EAD classifications DO NOT provide for an automatic 180 day extension. This includes spouses of E-2 treaty investors. For information on employment authorization for spouses of E-2 treaty investors, please click here.

It is advisable to renew between 3-4 months prior to the expiration of your current EAD to ensure that there is no gap in your ability to work. If you have any questions about employment authorization or other immigration related questions, don’t hesitate to contact us for a consultation.

FREE Visa Resources

Click on the buttons below in order to claim your free Visa Guide (E-1, E-2, TN, EB-5, H-1B, L-1, PERM, NIW, EB-1, O-1, E-3), sign up for our free Webinar, join our Facebook Group, or watch our videos.

Download FREE Visa Guide
Sign Up For Our Webinar
Join Our Facebook Group
Watch Our Videos

Set up a Visa or Green Card Consultation

For a dedicated one-on-one consultation with one of our lawyers, click on the button below to schedule your consultation.

Schedule a consultation

This website and blog constitutes attorney advertising. Do not consider anything in this website or blog legal advice and nothing in this website constitutes an attorney-client relationship being formed. Set up a one-hour consultation with us before acting on anything you read here. Past results are no guarantee of future results and prior results do not imply or predict future results. Each case is different and must be judged on its own merits.


  • Greetings,
    I have EAD that expires on Sep 25 2020 and currently on F-1 visa.
    On Feb 24 2020 I have applied for I-485 (married to US citizen) and also applied for I-765 just in case not quit current job in case Permanent Residence delays that my EAD expiration.
    as of now no status on my I-765 OR I-485 because of Covid and manpower issues at USCIS.
    So do I have to quit my job after my EAD expires on Sep 2020 & I see am eligible for automatic 180 days according to your writings mentioned.
    Please advise and what will be my proof of evidence to my employer to continue working????
    Thank you in advance for your answer.

    • IanScott says:

      Thank you for contacting us. We appreciate your business and look forward to helping you. Please find attached a link that you can use to set up a 30 minute ($150) or 1 hour ($250) consultation. The system allows you to select a lawyer and a day and time that is convenient to you. If you end up hiring the firm and your bill is greater than $2,500, we will apply this consultation fee to your final bill. Please reach out if you have any questions.

      Kind regards,

  • Indra Sena Reddy Merugu says:

    Dear Sor, i have a pending asylum with category C08, My EAD is gonna be expired on Marc 27th 2019, How May days prior to apply for renewal before it expires, Could you please help me in this regard, Thanking you.

Leave a Reply