What happens if I apply for a renewal of work authorization but it’s not approved before the expiration of my current work authorization card?

What happens if I apply for a renewal of work authorization but it’s not approved before the expiration of my current work authorization card?

If you work in the U.S. based on an approved employment authorization document (EAD), it is important to note the expiration date of the card. The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) is currently taking approximately 3 months to issue renewal EAD cards. In most circumstances, if your current EAD card expires before you get your new EAD card, you will not be authorized to work until your new EAD card is approved. While you may think you can show your employer the receipt notice that you have applied for a new EAD and that should suffice, your employer actually can’t legally employ you based just on a pending renewal application; your employer needs a valid EAD card to evidence that you are authorized to lawfully work in the U.S. This can therefore cause a potentially lengthy disruption to your ability to work in the U.S.

However, there are exceptions. Employment authorization documents are issued to people who are authorized to work based on a number of different immigration classifications. You will see on your employment authorization document a letter and a number which indicates what visa category you are in. For example, if you have work authorization based on a pending asylum application, you will see on your card category (c)(8). Some EAD classifications permit for an automatic 180 day reauthorization of your expired card so long as you file for renewal before your current EAD expires and you are otherwise eligible for a renewal. Common categories that are eligible for 180 day reauthorization are:

  • Refugees: (a)(3)
  • Asylees: (a)(5)
  • Temporary Protected Status: (a)(12) or (c)(19)
  • Asylum Applications Pending: (c)(8)
  • Adjustment of Status Applications Pending: (c)(9)
  • Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) Self-Petitioners: (c)(31)

There are a few other categories which are also eligible for an automatic 180 day extension which can be found here. However, the vast majority of EAD classifications DO NOT provide for an automatic 180 day extension. This includes spouses of E-2 treaty investors. For information on employment authorization for spouses of E-2 treaty investors, please click here.

It is advisable to renew between 3-4 months prior to the expiration of your current EAD to ensure that there is no gap in your ability to work. If you have any questions about employment authorization or other immigration related questions, don’t hesitate to contact us for a consultation.

To find out more about the new rules or other investor visas, contact Scott Legal, P.C.

book-your-consultation-buttonContact us at 212-223-2964 or by email at info@legalservicesincorporated.com.

This website and blog constitutes attorney advertising.  Do not consider anything in this website or blog legal advice and nothing in this website constitutes an attorney-client relationship being formed.  Set up a one-hour consultation with us before acting on anything you read here. Past results are no guarantee of future results and prior results do not imply or predict future results.  Each case is different and must be judged on its own merits.

August 18th, 2017|2 Comments


  1. Indra Sena Reddy Merugu August 11, 2018 at 2:35 pm - Reply

    Dear Sor, i have a pending asylum with category C08, My EAD is gonna be expired on Marc 27th 2019, How May days prior to apply for renewal before it expires, Could you please help me in this regard, Thanking you.

    • IanScott August 25, 2018 at 9:40 pm - Reply

      We handle mainly business cases.
      Kind regards,

Leave A Comment


barronsnysbasuper lawyers

Contact Info

40 Worth Street, Floor 10, New York, NY, 10013

Phone: 212-223-2964

Web: Scott Legal, P.C.

Visa Services

Search Our Blog by Topic

Recent Posts