Skip to main content

Top Ways to Transition from an E-2 Visa to a Green Card

By July 2, 2024E-2 Visa
A team of business professionals thinking

If you are currently in the U.S. on an E-2 Visa and are looking to transition to a green card, there are several pathways you can consider. Each option has specific requirements and benefits, so understanding these pathways is crucial for a successful transition. Here are some common ways to move to a green card. You should also look at our YouTube channel to see videos on moving from a visa to a green card.

Pathway 1: National Interest Waiver (NIW)

The National Interest Waiver (NIW) is a popular option for E-2 visa holders, particularly entrepreneurs. This pathway allows you to apply for a green card if you can demonstrate that your business or work significantly benefits the United States. Key points to consider:

  • Eligibility: You must show that your work has substantial merit and national importance.
  • Self-Petition: Unlike other employment-based green cards, you can self-petition for an NIW, meaning you do not need an employer to sponsor you.
  • Entrepreneur Focus: Many entrepreneurs successfully transition to a green card through this category by highlighting their business’s positive impact on the U.S. economy and job creation.

Pathway 2: EB-5 Immigrant Investor Program (continued)

  • Investment Amount: The required investment is either $800,000 if the business is located in a Targeted Employment Area (TEA), or $1,050,000 if it is not.
  • Job Creation: You must create or preserve at least ten full-time jobs for U.S. workers.
  • Existing Business: You can use your existing E-2 business as the investment vehicle, which can make this transition smoother.

Pathway 3: Family-Based Green Card

A family-based green card is another common route for E-2 visa holders. If you have close family members who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents, they may be able to sponsor you. One of the most straightforward scenarios is:

  • Marrying a U.S. citizen allows you to apply for a green card through a family-based petition. This process typically involves:
    • Filing a Petition: Your U.S. citizen spouse must file Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative.
    • Adjustment of Status: Once the petition is approved, you can file Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, to transition to a green card holder.


Transitioning from an E-2 visa to a green card is possible through several pathways, each with its own set of requirements. Whether you pursue a National Interest Waiver, invest through the EB-5 program, or apply through a family-based petition, understanding these options and consulting with an immigration attorney can significantly enhance your chances of a successful transition.

For more detailed guidance on transitioning from an E-2 visa to a green card, explore our free resources and schedule a consultation with our expert immigration attorneys.

FREE E-2 Visa Resources

Click on the buttons below in order to claim your free E-2 Visa Guide, sign up for our free E-2 Visa Webinar, join our Facebook Group, or watch our E-2 Visa videos.

Download Our E-2 Visa Guide
Sign Up For Our E-2 Visa Webinar
Join Our E-2 Visa Facebook Group
Watch Our E-2 Visa Videos

Set up an E-2 Visa Consultation

For a dedicated one-on-one E-2 Visa consultation with one of our lawyers, click on the button below to schedule your consultation.

Schedule a consultation

This website and blog constitutes attorney advertising. Do not consider anything in this website or blog legal advice and nothing in this website constitutes an attorney-client relationship being formed. Set up a one-hour consultation with us before acting on anything you read here. Past results are no guarantee of future results and prior results do not imply or predict future results. Each case is different and must be judged on its own merits.

Leave a Reply