My work authorization card was approved by USCIS. Do I need a SSN to start working in the U.S.?

By February 2, 2021Immigration
Courtesy of PicServer, labeled for reuse:

Example: Your spouse was granted an E-2 visa/E-2 status and you are currently in the U.S. on an E-2 spouse status. You want to start looking for a job in the U.S. and you want to apply for a work authorization card.

Please see our blog post on How to apply for a work authorization when you click here.

If you don’t have a SSN card at the time you are applying for the work authorization card, you can either apply for a SSN at the same time you are applying for the work authorization (in this case you should receive your SSN card in the mail shortly after you receive your work authorization), or you can apply for the SSN separately in a local SSA field office.

Our clients are often not sure whether they can accept a job offer and start working for a US employer immediately after they receive a work authorization card in the mail, or if they have to wait for the SSN card.

The answer is that you do not need to have a SSN card to start working, but you should at least apply for it before you start working. You can find more information on the SSA website.

Please see our blog post on what is the difference between E-2 visa and E-2 status when you click here.

You can set up a consultation by clicking the link below.

This website and blog constitutes attorney advertising.  Do not consider anything in this website or blog legal advice and nothing in this website constitutes an attorney-client relationship being formed.  Set up a one-hour consultation with us before acting on anything you read here. Past results are no guarantee of future results and prior results do not imply or predict future results.  Each case is different and must be judged on its own merits.


Leave a Reply