Skip to main content

What Is Required When Your E-2 Visa Business Changes?

By April 1, 2015May 7th, 2021E-2 Visa, Immigration, Investor Visas

An E-2 visa is a great visa option for someone who wants to purchase or start a business in the U.S.. The visa requires an investment of as low as $50,000 and the E-2 investor should ultimately plan on hiring U.S. workers. A full list of the E-2 visa requirements can be obtained by clicking here.

When an E-2 visa is approved, the investor is only permitted to work at the company he/she founded or purchased and the company should perform the activities that were specified when the application was submitted. At times though, a business owner may want to expand or change the E-2 business and the question often arises of what the investor must do in this situation.

If a business change is significant, one option for the E-2 investor is to ask for an approval for this change in business activities at the Consulate. This process involves emailing the Consulate directly to ask what their procedure is, as they may all differ. Based on past requests, some consulates just ask petitioners to send in evidence of the new business (eg. New activities, business plan), and based on that evidence they approve or deny the change. Depending on the changes, a consulate could ask you to refile your E-2 application. One thing to keep in mind is that this request is only needed if the business change is substantial. For example, if you have an E-2 visa approved for a restaurant and then you expand the business to add a bar, it is unlikely that your business has changed enough to warrant a reclassification of business activities. If you were approved as a restaurant and then decided to become a wedding photographer, this would clearly represent a substantial change in business.

The other possibility when your business changes is to file with USCIS in the United States. This is also only done when there has been a “substantive change” in the business. A substantive change is defined by USCIS as follows: “The Service will deem there to have been a substantive change necessitating the filing of a new Form I-129 application in cases where there has been a fundamental change in the employing entity’s basic characteristics, such as a merger, acquisition, or sale of the division where the alien is employed.” The process to seek approval of a substantive change through USCIS is to file Form I-129 (with appropriate explanation and supporting documentation) along with the E-1/E-2 Classification Supplement and the fee of $325.

The key take away point is that the change in business activities must be substantive and when considering this you should look at the new aspect of your business to determine if you can make a rational link to your current business. If so, then asking the government for an amendment may not be required. You should also keep this article in mind when drafting your business plan and describing your business when you first submit your E-2 application. For example, your business plan may have a key business activity (for example, wedding photography, but then may also describe additional services that you may offer, eg, wedding consultant, nutrition planning for weddings, etc.). If you consider future possibilities when you submit your application, this may eliminate the need to go back to the government and get additional approvals.

FREE E-2 Visa Resources

Click on the buttons below in order to claim your free E-2 Visa Guide, sign up for our free E-2 Visa Webinar, join our Facebook Group, or watch our E-2 Visa videos.

Download E-2 Visa Guide
Sign Up For Our E-2 Visa Webinar
Join Our E-2 Visa Facebook Group
Watch Our E-2 Visa Videos

Set up an E-2 Visa Consultation

For a dedicated one-on-one E-2 Visa consultation with one of our lawyers, click on the button below to schedule your consultation.

Schedule a consultation

This website and blog constitutes attorney advertising. Do not consider anything in this website or blog legal advice and nothing in this website constitutes an attorney-client relationship being formed. Set up a one-hour consultation with us before acting on anything you read here. Past results are no guarantee of future results and prior results do not imply or predict future results. Each case is different and must be judged on its own merits.


  • Steve Kim says:

    Hi, I got an approval of E2 change of status. I want to change my company from C-Corp to S-Corp.
    Should I report it to USCIS?

  • Sumera sharif says:

    Hi.We have a E2 business visa on a gas station.I was wondering if we could first sale it then transfer the Visa.

    • IanScott says:

      Thank you very much for contacting us and we welcome the opportunity to help you with your legal needs.

      At your earliest convenience, we would be happy to offer you a consultation with one of our lawyers. If after the consultation you decide to hire us to work on your matter and your billing is greater than $2,500, our $250 one hour consultation fee will be waived and the amount will be applied towards your future bill. (As such, the consultation would be free).

      While some legal questions appear straight forward, most do not have a yes or no answer and a proper answer requires a review of the facts and circumstances as well as an application of legal knowledge. Moreover, almost all questions require follow up and additional analysis that is best done during a consultation.

      We look forward to working with you and please contact us if you would like to set up a consultation. For your ease of reference, I have included information below to set up a consultation.

      Please find attached our credit card link to make your $250 consultation payment for a one hour consultation. If you end up hiring the firm and your bill is greater than $2,500, we will apply this consultation fee to your final bill. Once we receive the payment, we can schedule and confirm your appointment. Please reach out if you have any questions.

Leave a Reply

We are happy to offer our E-2 visa guide that describes the E-2 visa requirements, and other advise to assist with your E-2 visa application.
For more info visit our E-2 visa service Page or schedule a consultation so we can handle your E-2 visa process.  You can also sign up for a Free E-2 Visa Webinar here.