Starting on December 26, 2019, USCIS is now accepting adjustment of status applications from certain Liberian nationals under Section 7611 of the National Defense Authorization Act. Section 7611 of the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2020, Liberian Refugee Immigration Fairness (LRIF), allows Liberian nationals and their spouses, unmarried children under 21 years old, or unmarried sons and daughters 21 years old or older living in the United States who meet the eligibility requirements to apply to become lawful permanent residents (receive Green Cards).
To be eligible for permanent residence under LRIF, a Liberian national must have been continuously physically present in the United States from November 20, 2014, to the date they properly file an application for adjustment of status. USCIS will accept properly filed applications until Dec. 20, 2020, one year from the enactment of the LRIF.
In order to be eligible for a Green Card under the LRIF, you must meet the following requirements:
- You properly file Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status by Dec. 20, 2020;
- You are a national of Liberia;
- You have been continuously physically present in the United States during the period beginning on November 20, 2014, and ending on the date you properly file your Form I-485;
- You are otherwise eligible for an immigrant visa; and
- You are admissible to the United States for lawful permanent residence or eligible for a waiver of inadmissibility or other form of relief.
The following grounds of inadmissibility do not apply to applicants under the LRIF:
- Public Charge (INA 212(a)(4));
- Labor Certification Requirements (INA 212(a)(5));
- Aliens Present Without Admission or Parole (INA 212(a)(6)(A)); and
- Documentation Requirements (INA 212(a)(7)(A).
Aliens are ineligible under LRIF if they have:
- Been convicted of any aggravated felony;
- Been convicted of two or more crimes involving moral turpitude (other than a purely political offense); or
- Ordered, incited, assisted or otherwise participated in the persecution of any person on account of race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group or political opinion.
FREE Visa Resources
Click on the buttons below in order to claim your free Visa Guide (E-1, E-2, TN, EB-5, H1-B, L-1, PERM, NIW, EB-1, O-1, E-3), sign up for our free Webinar, join our Facebook Group, or watch our videos.
Set up a Visa or Green Card Consultation
For a dedicated one-on-one consultation with one of our lawyers, click on the button below to schedule your consultation.
This website and blog constitutes attorney advertising. Do not consider anything in this website or blog legal advice and nothing in this website constitutes an attorney-client relationship being formed. Set up a one-hour consultation with us before acting on anything you read here. Past results are no guarantee of future results and prior results do not imply or predict future results. Each case is different and must be judged on its own merits.