Skip to main content

USCIS No Longer Accepting Abandonment of Green Card Status at International Field Offices

By June 20, 2019March 16th, 2021Family Immigration, Immigration

A “green card” or permanent resident card is a document that shows a that a person can stay in the U.S. and work here in almost any capacity. One is eligible to apply for permanent residence/green card through certain family relationships, a job offer or employment that meets certain criteria, refugee or asylum claims, or other special provisions. In some cases, you may be able to self-petition. Please click here to learn more about maintaining green card status.

Abandonment of Permanent Residence: Permanent residents may lose their status if they intentionally (or in some cases unintentionally) abandon it by:

  • Moving to another country and intending to live there permanently;
  • Remaining outside of the U.S. for an extended period, unless intended to be a temporary absence and you have notified immigration of this absence. Obtaining a re-entry permit from USCIS before you leave, or a returning resident visa (SB-1) from a U.S. consulate while abroad, may assist you in showing that you intended only a temporary absence.
  • Failure to file income tax returns while living outside of the United States for any period.
  • Declaring yourself a “nonimmigrant” on your U.S. tax returns.

In some circumstances, individuals may wish to voluntarily abandon their green card statuses. In these circumstances, they will file a Form I-407, Record of Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident Status and give up their green cards. However, starting on July 1, 2019, USCIS will no longer accept Form I-407 at international field offices by mail or in person. Anyone who wish to voluntarily abandon their Green Card status can submit the form via mail to:

USCIS Eastern Forms Center

Attn: I-407 unit

124 Leroy Road

PO Box 567

Williston, VT 05495

USCIS anticipates that processing times for the form will take around 60 days. In very rare and special circumstances, a US embassy, consulate or international field office may accept a Form I-407 in person if the individual need immediate proof that they have abandoned their Green Card Status.

FREE Visa Resources

Click on the buttons below in order to claim your free Visa Guide (E-1, E-2, TN, EB-5, H1-B, L-1, PERM, NIW, EB-1, O-1, E-3), sign up for our free Webinar, join our Facebook Group, or watch our videos.

Download FREE Visa Guide
Sign Up For Our Webinar
Join Our Facebook Group
Watch Our Videos

Set up a Visa or Green Card Consultation

For a dedicated one-on-one consultation with one of our lawyers, click on the button below to schedule your consultation.

Schedule a consultation

This website and blog constitutes attorney advertising. Do not consider anything in this website or blog legal advice and nothing in this website constitutes an attorney-client relationship being formed. Set up a one-hour consultation with us before acting on anything you read here. Past results are no guarantee of future results and prior results do not imply or predict future results. Each case is different and must be judged on its own merits.

Leave a Reply

Scott Legal, P.C. has Something For You
Thank you for connecting with us. We would be happy to assist you & send you free information on a number of topics including, Free Immigration Guides (E-1, E-2, L-1, H-1B, PERM, NIW, EB-1, O-1 & TN), Videos, Articles & Free Immigration Webinars.