Skip to main content

I want to file an E-2 extension application with USCIS. Can I keep working for the E-2 company after my I-94 expires? What is the 240 day extension?

By May 6, 2020May 14th, 2021E-2 Visa, Immigration, Investor Visas

If you are in the U.S. on an E-2 investor status and your E-2 status is going to expire soon, you may stay in the U.S. and keep working for your E-2 company even after your E-2 status expires, if you will file the E-2 extension application with USCIS before your E-2 status expires.  Remember your status is different from your Visa date. The status is the date on your I-94. Each time you enter the U.S. you are given 2 years in E-2 status.

I filed my original application at a U.S. Consulate. Can I still apply for an extension with USCIS?

Yes. It does not matter whether the original E-2 application was filed with USCIS or at a Consulate, you may apply for an extension of status in either case.  You must file the extension before your I-94 date expires.  If your I-94 is about to expires but you have a valid visa, the best option is to leave the U.S. and reenter. (even if only for 1 day or returning on the same day). If you extend through USCIS, you have to file a complete and new E-2 application that is adjudicated as if it were to be a new petition.

How do I find out when my E-2 status expires?

If you originally filed the E-2 application with USCIS, you can find out when your status expires on your I-797A Approval notice. If you originally applied for the E-2 visa at a U.S. Consulate, you can find out when your E-2 status expires by checking your I-94. You can access this on this government website.

For example, if your E-2 status/I-94 date expires on June 20, 2020, and you want to stay in the U.S. and keep working for the E-2 company, you will have to file the E-2 extension application before your E-2 status expires. You will then be able to keep working for the E-2 company for up to 240 days from the date your E-2 status expired.

My E-2 extension application was denied. Can I keep working for the Company for up to 240 days after my I-94 expires?

No. If your extension application is denied, you have to stop working for the Company immediately. If your I-94 has already expired at the time your extension is denied you should prepare to leave the U.S. right away to avoid accruing unlawful presence.

Does the 240 day extension apply to my spouse?

No. The 240 day extension only applies to you as the E-2 investor and your spouse will have to stop working on the day his/her work authorization card expires. Your spouse may file his/her work authorization application along with his/her I-539 extension of status application, but he/she will only be able to start working once his/her new work authorization card is approved.

Additionally, some work authorization categories qualify for the automatic 180-day extension if the renewal application is filed before the current work authorization expires. Unfortunately, the E-2 spouses do not qualify for the 180 day extension.

FREE E-2 Visa Resources

Click on the buttons below in order to claim your free E-2 Visa Guide, sign up for our free E-2 Visa Webinar, join our Facebook Group, or watch our E-2 Visa videos.

Download E-2 Visa Guide
Sign Up For Our E-2 Visa Webinar
Join Our E-2 Visa Facebook Group
Watch Our E-2 Visa Videos

Set up an E-2 Visa Consultation

For a dedicated one-on-one E-2 Visa consultation with one of our lawyers, click on the button below to schedule your consultation.

Schedule a consultation

This website and blog constitutes attorney advertising. Do not consider anything in this website or blog legal advice and nothing in this website constitutes an attorney-client relationship being formed. Set up a one-hour consultation with us before acting on anything you read here. Past results are no guarantee of future results and prior results do not imply or predict future results. Each case is different and must be judged on its own merits.


  • Jay says:

    I filed a renew of my visa (E2 essential employee) in February but I still didn’t receive an answer from the embassy. I applied for the extension before the expiration of my I94 which will expire the 6th of this month.
    This means I can ONLY stay and work legally in USA or eventually I can travel in my country (Italy) and then come back in USA?


    • IanScott says:

      Thank you for contacting us. We appreciate your business and look forward to helping you. Please find attached a link that you can use to set up a 30 minute ($150) or 1 hour ($250) consultation. The system allows you to select a lawyer and a day and time that is convenient to you. If you end up hiring the firm and your bill is greater than $2,500, we will apply this consultation fee to your final bill. Please reach out if you have any questions.

      Kind regards,

  • Marcelo Garrahan says:

    Are they issuing E-2 Visas now ? Has there being major changes for opening a Restaurant, for example 50%ownership and minimum capital required ?

Leave a Reply

We are happy to offer our E-2 visa guide that describes the E-2 visa requirements, and other advise to assist with your E-2 visa application.
For more info visit our E-2 visa service Page or schedule a consultation so we can handle your E-2 visa process.  You can also sign up for a Free E-2 Visa Webinar here.