Skip to main content

I never received my Employment Authorization Document, what can I do?

By April 21, 2022Immigration
A woman considering answers to her questions

When you file a work authorization application with U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS) you must provide your mailing address. It is very important to provide a secure address where you are confident you can receive mail, as this is the address where USCIS will send your Employment Authorization Document (EAD) after the application is approved.

USCIS approved my application, but I never received my EAD

After your EAD application is filed, USCIS will first issue a receipt notice with the receipt number. You can use this number to track the case status on the USCIS Case Status website. After the case is approved, USCIS will send an approval notice and the EAD. You will need the physical EAD as evidence of your authorization to work in the U.S.

If USCIS case status indicates that the card was mailed but you never received your EAD, the first thing you should do is check with the local Post Office. If the EAD is returned to USCIS as undeliverable, you can file an e-request using USCIS’s Self-Service Tools to alert USCIS that you did not receive your card and ask them to mail it to you.

Unfortunately, if USCIS mails the card and the Post Office lists it as delivered, they will not issue you a new card. At that point, your only option is to apply for a new EAD.

What if my address changes after I file the application?

If you move after you apply for the EAD, it is very important to timely file Form AR-11 to notify USCIS of your change of address. This form can be filed online through USCIS’s website and should be filed within 10 days of any move within the United States. When you fill out the form, you should make sure to list the pending I-765 receipt number so that USCIS knows to mail the EAD to the new address.

FREE Visa Resources

Click on the buttons below in order to claim your free Visa Guide (E-1, E-2, TN, EB-5, H-1B, L-1, PERM, NIW, EB-1, O-1, E-3), sign up for our free Webinar, join our Facebook Group, or watch our videos.

Download FREE Visa Guide
Sign Up For Our Webinar
Join Our Facebook Group
Watch Our Videos

Set up a Visa or Green Card Consultation

For a dedicated one-on-one consultation with one of our lawyers, click on the button below to schedule your consultation.

Schedule a consultation

This website and blog constitutes attorney advertising. Do not consider anything in this website or blog legal advice and nothing in this website constitutes an attorney-client relationship being formed. Set up a one-hour consultation with us before acting on anything you read here. Past results are no guarantee of future results and prior results do not imply or predict future results. Each case is different and must be judged on its own merits.

Leave a Reply