Skip to main content

Does My Spouse have to Apply for an E-2 Visa at the Same Time as Me? Can my Spouse Apply for an E-2 Visa Later?

By June 26, 2017May 11th, 2021E-2 Visa, Immigration, Investor Visas

Does My Spouse have to Apply for an E-2 Visa at the Same Time as Me?  Can my Spouse Apply for an E-2 Visa Later?

When a primary applicant is granted an E-2 visa, the spouse and children under 21 can also obtain E-2 visas.  While many applicants process their applications at the same time, this is not required. Instead, a spouse and/or children can apply for an E-2 visa after the primary applicant has been granted the visa.

For the dependents to apply, they will need a copy of the primary applicants E-2 visa and documents showing the familial relationship.  (eg. marriage certificate and/or birth certificate)

The primary applicant does not have to accompany the dependents to the interview and the dependents do not have to process the visa at the same place as the primary applicant.

The E-2 visa for dependents will be issued for the same amount of time as the primary applicant.

To find out more about the full set of E-2 visa requirements click here.

FREE E-2 Visa Resources

Click on the buttons below in order to claim your free E-2 Visa Guide, sign up for our free E-2 Visa Webinar, join our Facebook Group, or watch our E-2 Visa videos.

Download E-2 Visa Guide
Sign Up For Our E-2 Visa Webinar
Join Our E-2 Visa Facebook Group
Watch Our E-2 Visa Videos

Set up an E-2 Visa Consultation

For a dedicated one-on-one E-2 Visa consultation with one of our lawyers, click on the button below to schedule your consultation.

Schedule a consultation

This website and blog constitutes attorney advertising. Do not consider anything in this website or blog legal advice and nothing in this website constitutes an attorney-client relationship being formed. Set up a one-hour consultation with us before acting on anything you read here. Past results are no guarantee of future results and prior results do not imply or predict future results. Each case is different and must be judged on its own merits.


  • Lea says:

    Hi, i am applying as a spouse of an e2 visa holder; application seperately from my husband as we got married after he obtained the visa. I found that i need to submit the DS 160 and DS156E. DS 160 is clear, but how should i fill out the DS156? (it’s designed for the prinicipal e2 visa applicant and not for a spouse) or do i just need to resubmit my husband’s DS156?

    • IanScott says:

      Hello and thank you very much for contacting us.

      E-2 Visa Brochure

      Click Here for E-2 Visa Brochure

      We would like the opportunity to help you and welcome the chance to set up a thirty minute or one hour consultation with one of our lawyers who regularly processes E-2 visas. This lawyer will be able to answer all of your questions and can give you valuable information so that you can make informed decisions. Our consultations can be arranged based on your convenience and can be done over the telephone, via Skype, or in person.

      Our consultation fee of $250 (1 hour) or $150 (30 minutes) will be refunded to you if you end up hiring us for an E-2 Visa and I have attached the link to set up a consultation below. You can pick the lawyer, date and time that works best for you.

      We hope you decide to give us the opportunity to assist you. Please also feel free to join our E-1 and E-2 visa Facebook support group. You may find answers to some questions there as well as general support. You can sign up for free by clicking here.

      Kind regards,

Leave a Reply

We are happy to offer our E-2 visa guide that describes the E-2 visa requirements, and other advise to assist with your E-2 visa application.
For more info visit our E-2 visa service Page or schedule a consultation so we can handle your E-2 visa process.  You can also sign up for a Free E-2 Visa Webinar here.