Skip to main content

Can I Bring my Mother and/or Father to the U.S. with me if I have an E-2 Visa? Can I Bring other Family Members to the U.S. with a nonimmigrant visa?

By August 3, 2016May 7th, 2021E-2 Visa, Immigration, Investor Visas
Labeled for reuse:

Many nonimmigrant visas such as an E-2 visa, an L-1 visa and H-1B visa allow spouses and children under 21 to accompany the primary applicant to the U.S. These dependent visas allow families to live together in the United States while the principal visa holder is working. Generally, children are permitted to attend school and under some visa categories spouses can get work authorization. However, some nonimmigrant visa holders have household members that fall outside the definition of spouse or child. People in this situation may be faced with the difficulty of coming to work in the United States while leaving behind a person who is an important part of the family, but does not qualify for a dependent visa. For example, many people take care of their elderly parents and would be unable to leave an elderly parent behind while working in the U.S. on a nonimmigrant visa. Similarly, there are many life-long couples who are not legally married and therefore ineligible for derivative status.

Thankfully, an exception exists that enables individuals in these types of close relationships with nonimmigrant visa holders to accompany them to the United States and remain with them during their period of their stay. The Department of State and the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services have a consistent policy that allows cohabiting partners, extended family members, and other household members ineligible for derivative status to potentially obtain up to a one-year initial entry into the United States and subsequent multiple extensions of status within the United States with a B-2 visa. The primary purpose of the household member’s trip would be to accompany the principal nonimmigrant, who can be in any nonimmigrant status other than A or G.

As some nonimmigrants come to the United States for work commitments of two years or more, this exception can keep close family together in the U.S. for much longer periods of time.  While in the U.S. on this extended B-2 status, the visa holder is considered to be a tourist, traveling for pleasure, and the visa holder must intend to depart the U.S. when the principal visa holder’s work is done. Furthermore, the household member cannot violate the terms of a tourist visa which include not working in the United States.

This exception can diminish some of the familial conflicts that entrepreneurs face when deciding whether to start up a business in the United States. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to set up a consultation with Scott Legal P.C.


FREE E-2 Visa Resources

Click on the buttons below in order to claim your free E-2 Visa Guide, sign up for our free E-2 Visa Webinar, join our Facebook Group, or watch our E-2 Visa videos.

Download E-2 Visa Guide
Sign Up For Our E-2 Visa Webinar
Join Our E-2 Visa Facebook Group
Watch Our E-2 Visa Videos

Set up an E-2 Visa Consultation

For a dedicated one-on-one E-2 Visa consultation with one of our lawyers, click on the button below to schedule your consultation.

Schedule a consultation

This website and blog constitutes attorney advertising. Do not consider anything in this website or blog legal advice and nothing in this website constitutes an attorney-client relationship being formed. Set up a one-hour consultation with us before acting on anything you read here. Past results are no guarantee of future results and prior results do not imply or predict future results. Each case is different and must be judged on its own merits.


  • Randy says:

    What if the father of a E-2 visa holder is a retail trader (trades U.S. financial securities with his own money) Does this violates the terms of his tourist-like visa as being a relative who lives with her daughter (the E-2 holder) in the U.S.? (He would be paying taxes to the U.S. though; in addition, IRS considers retail trading a non-income activity, hence it doesn’t trigger self-employment tax, for instance)

    • IanScott says:

      Thank you very much for contacting us and we welcome the opportunity to help you with your legal needs.

      At your earliest convenience, we would be happy to offer you a consultation with one of our lawyers. If after the consultation you decide to hire us to work on your matter and your billing is greater than $2,500, our $250 one hour consultation fee will be waived and the amount will be applied towards your future bill. (As such, the consultation would be free).

      While some legal questions appear straight forward, most do not have a yes or no answer and a proper answer requires a review of the facts and circumstances as well as an application of legal knowledge. Moreover, almost all questions require follow up and additional analysis that is best done during a consultation.

      We look forward to working with you and please contact us if you would like to set up a consultation. For your ease of reference, I have included information below to set up a consultation.

      Please find attached our credit card link to make your $250 consultation payment for a one hour consultation. If you end up hiring the firm and your bill is greater than $2,500, we will apply this consultation fee to your final bill. Once we receive the payment, we can schedule and confirm your appointment. Please reach out if you have any questions.

Leave a Reply

We are happy to offer our E-2 visa guide that describes the E-2 visa requirements, and other advise to assist with your E-2 visa application.
For more info visit our E-2 visa service Page or schedule a consultation so we can handle your E-2 visa process.  You can also sign up for a Free E-2 Visa Webinar here.