What is an I-94?

The I-94 is the Arrival/Departure Record Card that the United States government uses to keep track of the arrivals and departures of foreign nationals. The only people who do not receive I-94s when entering the United States are U.S. citizens, green card holders, and the majority of Canadian citizens visiting the United States. Previously foreign nationals received a physical copy of their I-94 (a white card) when they entered the United States, however this information is now stored electronically. (Some land border crossings will still issue a paper copy of the I-94 but this is not common).   Foreign nationals can get their current I-94 by visiting a website maintained by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. If you apply for a change of status or extension of status while in the United States, you will receive a physical I-94 on the bottom of your approval notice.

Why is my I-94 important?

The I-94 is an important document, as it shows your name, birthdate, passport number, current status in the United States and the date when your status ends. It is always possible that the I-94 information is entered or recorded incorrectly, which can have negative immigration consequences if left uncorrected. It is strongly recommended that you verify all information on your Form I-94 each time you enter the U.S. to ensure the information on the I-94 record is correct.

I checked my I-94 and the information is incorrect. How do I fix my I-94?

If your electronic I-94 contains incorrect information, the procedure to correct it from within the United States is to visit a local Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Deferred Inspection Site or Port of Entry (POE) that has a Deferred Inspection office. You should bring supporting documentation to your appointment to show that there was an error. For example, if the I-94 shows that you were admitted as a B-2 tourist when you actually entered on an E-2 visa, you would bring your current visa, the incorrect electronic I-94 and the correct visa stamp showing your class of admission. If you received an incorrect I-94 on your approval notice from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services you can file Form I-102, Application for Replacement/Initial Nonimmigrant Arrival-Departure Document to get a corrected I-94.

Some of our clients have had success changing their I-94 by contacting deferred inspection sites here.

For more practical information and legal advice on immigration issues contact Scott Legal, P.C. Call 212-223-2964 or email info@legalservicesincorporated.com for a consultation.


Kelly R. LeGrand Weiner, Esq. is the Managing Attorney at Scott Legal, P.C. She can be reached at 212-223-2964 or by email at info@legalservicesincorporated.com.

This website and blog constitutes attorney advertising.  Do not consider anything in this website or blog legal advice and nothing in this website constitutes an attorney-client relationship being formed.  Set up a one-hour consultation with us before acting on anything you read here. Past results are no guarantee of future results and prior results do not imply or predict future results.  Each case is different and must be judged on its own merits.