If you recently filed a family based Adjustment of Status application, you may be wondering how and where will your green card application be processed.
You just got married to a U.S. citizen and you are filing the I-130 petition concurrently with the Adjustment of Status, I-485 petition. You are also filing the applications for work and travel authorizations.
What is USCIS Chicago lockbox?
In the example above, under the current USCIS instructions, you should mail the whole petition to USCIS Chicago Lockbox. The USCIS Chicago Lockbox will not adjudicate your case and has more of an administrative role in the process. The USCIS Chicago Lockbox will basically:
- open the mail;
- scan the documents;
- accept or reject the application (it can reject the application for example if you do not submit the required USCIS fee or if the USCIS forms are not signed);
- deposit payments;
- send USCIS receipt notices or rejection notices if the application was rejected.
In the example above, the USCIS Chicago Lockbox will mail the application to the National Benefits Center.
What is National Benefits Center?
National Benefits Center (“NBC”) is a USCIS center that processes mostly 2 types of petitions:
- Family based adjustments of status and I-130 Petitions;
- Naturalization applications
The National Benefits Center will do the following:
- Schedule your biometrics appointment;
- Review the application and send a Request for evidence if initial evidence is missing;
- Mail the application to the appropriate USCIS field office (this is the office where you will have your green card interview);
- Schedule your green card interview
Please note that the NBC does not adjudicate the case – it makes sure that all the initial documents that should be included are included and will prepare the application for the USCIS field office adjudication.
What is a USCIS field office?
USCIS field offices conducts the green card interviews. Please note that once the NBC schedules your interview, they will mail you an interview notice and the interview notice will have detailed information to which office you should come.
FREE Visa Resources
Click on the buttons below in order to claim your free Visa Guide (E-1, E-2, TN, EB-5, H1-B, L-1, PERM, NIW, EB-1, O-1, E-3), sign up for our free Webinar, join our Facebook Group, or watch our videos.
Set up a Visa or Green Card Consultation
For a dedicated one-on-one consultation with one of our lawyers, click on the button below to schedule your consultation.
This website and blog constitutes attorney advertising. Do not consider anything in this website or blog legal advice and nothing in this website constitutes an attorney-client relationship being formed. Set up a one-hour consultation with us before acting on anything you read here. Past results are no guarantee of future results and prior results do not imply or predict future results. Each case is different and must be judged on its own merits.