Skip to main content

How do I show Control for an E-2 visa? Do I have to own 51% of a company to get an E-2 visa? Does an E-2 visa require 50% or 51% ownership?

By February 13, 2020May 13th, 2021E-2 Visa, Immigration, Investor Visas

An E-2 visa has a number of requirements including investing money and hiring U.S. workers.  The visa is only available to nationals from certain countries and in order to get an E-2 visa, the U.S. entity must be at least 50% owned by nationals from the Treaty country.  The question often arises of whether the required percentage of ownership of the E-2 entity is 50% or 51%.  Based on the regulations, the clear answer to the question is 50%.

Do I have to own 50% or 51% of the E-2 Entity?

In order to obtain an E-2 visa as an investor, the investor must show that he/she controls the U.S. entity.  Control is usually demonstrated by showing that the investor owns the majority of an entity, such that he/she can vote and direct the entity based on that vote.  While owning 50% does not give one absolute control, the regulations are clear that a concept of “negative control” still meets the E-2 visa requirement of control. That is, if 2 parties each own 50% of a company, one (or both) could qualify for an E-2 investor visa based on control.  You can see the other E-2 visa requirements by clicking here.

 Can my ownership percentage in the company change? Can my ownership in an E-2 company drop below 50%?

Let us look at the following example:  A company’s ownership split is 60% owned by a U.K. national and 40% owned by a national from the U.S.  The U.K. national applies for an E-2 as an investor and the visa is granted.  One year later, the company ownership flips (sale, transfer or by other means) and becomes 60% owned by the U.S. national and 40% owned by the U.K national.   What happens when the E-2 investor ownership drops below 50%?

The E-2 business must always be at least 50% owned by nationals from the Treaty country to maintain E-2 status. If the ownership percentage drops below 50%, anyone who has an E-2 visa in the company would lose that status.  There is a 60-day grace period that applies but the E-2 investor or E-2 employee would not be able to work during that period.

FREE E-2 Visa Resources

Click on the buttons below in order to claim your free E-2 Visa Guide, sign up for our free E-2 Visa Webinar, join our Facebook Group, or watch our E-2 Visa videos.

Download E-2 Visa Guide
Sign Up For Our E-2 Visa Webinar
Join Our E-2 Visa Facebook Group
Watch Our E-2 Visa Videos

Set up an E-2 Visa Consultation

For a dedicated one-on-one E-2 Visa consultation with one of our lawyers, click on the button below to schedule your consultation.

Schedule a consultation

This website and blog constitutes attorney advertising. Do not consider anything in this website or blog legal advice and nothing in this website constitutes an attorney-client relationship being formed. Set up a one-hour consultation with us before acting on anything you read here. Past results are no guarantee of future results and prior results do not imply or predict future results. Each case is different and must be judged on its own merits.


  • Vince says:

    My 2 friends and I all of us are from Taiwan, willing to invest in a business in the U.S. Each of us will invest an equal amount or $40K each. We plan to open a bubble tea shop. Is it possible for all 3 of us to obtain E-2 visas as direct owners of the business in the U.S.? Or should we first, set up a parent company A in our country, and than have company A open company B in the U.S., which will be Company A’s subsidiary, then apply for E-2 visas as managerial employees? The goal is for three of us to invest together and obtain E-2s together.
    Thank you.

    • IanScott says:

      Thank you for contacting us. We appreciate your business and look forward to helping you. Please find attached a link that you can use to set up a 30 minute ($150) or 1 hour ($250) consultation. The system allows you to select a lawyer and a day and time that is convenient to you. If you end up hiring the firm and your bill is greater than $2,500, we will apply this consultation fee to your final bill. Please reach out if you have any questions.

      Kind regards,

Leave a Reply

We are happy to offer our E-2 visa guide that describes the E-2 visa requirements, and other advise to assist with your E-2 visa application.
For more info visit our E-2 visa service Page or schedule a consultation so we can handle your E-2 visa process.  You can also sign up for a Free E-2 Visa Webinar here.