Skip to main content

What Evidence do I Need to Submit with the I-751 Petition?

By April 22, 2021Immigration
Two hands joined in marriage

If you obtained your green card based on a marriage to a U.S. citizen (and you were married for less than 2 years when you obtained the green card), you were granted a Conditional 2-year green card. Before the 2-year anniversary of your green card, you will have to file form I-751 and submit certain supporting evidence.

What evidence should I submit with my I-751 petition?

Evidence of your marriage

To prove that your marriage is not fraudulent and was bona fide, you should submit evidence such as:

  1. Birth certificates of children born during the time of this marriage,
  2. Lease agreements/proof that you own a property with your spouse,
  3. Proof of joint bank accounts,
  4. Proof that you filed your tax returns with your spouse jointly,
  5. Joint utility bills,
  6. Photos with your spouse since you submitted your original green card petition,
  7. Evidence of trips you and your spouse took together (e.g. flight tickets),
  8. Affidavits sworn to or affirmed by at least two people who have known both of you since your conditional residence was granted and have personal knowledge of your marriage and relationship.

Additionally, you should submit evidence such as a copy of your green card, marriage certificate, any police/court documents (if you have a criminal record).

Most importantly, you will have to fill out form I-751 (Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence).

This form asks information such as your personal & biographic information, your current address, information about your spouse, and information about your children (if you have any).

Please see here for our blog post on whether your I-751 petition & naturalization petition can be pending at the same time .

FREE Visa Resources

Click on the buttons below in order to claim your free Visa Guide (E-1, E-2, TN, EB-5, H-1B, L-1, PERM, NIW, EB-1, O-1, E-3), sign up for our free Webinar, join our Facebook Group, or watch our videos.

Download FREE Visa Guide
Sign Up For Our Webinar
Join Our Facebook Group
Watch Our Videos

Set up a Visa or Green Card Consultation

For a dedicated one-on-one consultation with one of our lawyers, click on the button below to schedule your consultation.

Schedule a consultation

This website and blog constitutes attorney advertising. Do not consider anything in this website or blog legal advice and nothing in this website constitutes an attorney-client relationship being formed. Set up a one-hour consultation with us before acting on anything you read here. Past results are no guarantee of future results and prior results do not imply or predict future results. Each case is different and must be judged on its own merits.

Leave a Reply