I am a Canadian national, can I apply for an L-1 at the border? Can I renew my L-1 at the border?

By September 23, 2020December 2nd, 2020L-1 Visa

The L-1 visa is a great option for companies that want to transfer employees in managerial, executive or specialized knowledge roles from a foreign company abroad to a US company with which it has a qualifying relationship. For most applicants, the process involves gathering all supporting documents and submitting them to U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services (“USCIS”) along with Form I-129. If the applicant is outside the U.S., then after USCIS approves the petition, the applicant will make an appointment at a U.S. Consulate abroad to obtain the L-1 visa stamp. If the applicant is already in the U.S. (for example on B-1 status), then the applicant may choose to do a change of status from B-1 to L-1 status. Once the applicant leaves the U.S. they will need to go to a U.S. Consulate and get the L-1 visa stamp in their passport to allow them to re-enter the U.S.

Do Canadians have to apply for the initial L-1 through USCIS? Can they apply at a port of entry?

The process for Canadians who are getting L-1 visas is somewhat different. Canadians are visa exempt, which means that typically they do not need visas to enter the U.S. (although there are some notable exceptions, for example, the E-2 visa). For the L-1 category, being visa exempt means that Canadian applicants do not need to first submit an application through USCIS. Canadians can prepare their L-1 application with their employer and then take all the documents to a port of entry and have a U.S. Customs and Border Protection (“CBP”) officer make a decision on the application at the border. If the officer approves the application, the passport will be stamped and the person will enter the U.S. in L-1 status. Canadians can go to any port of entry and present their L-1 application, however CBP has designated certain ports of entry for optimized processing. Ports of entry with optimized processing have more efficient procedures for processing TNs and L-1s, so CBP recommends that applicants apply at one of these ports if possible.

Can Canadians renew their L-1 at the border? Do they have to apply through USCIS?

In the past, Canadians were able to renew their L-1 visas at the border. Starting in 2019, this practice began to change and CBP began refusing to process L-1 renewal applications at the border. This means that at the current time, Canadian L-1 applicants who are seeking to renew their L-1 should have their employer file an extension application with USCIS. If they try to renew the L-1 at the border, they are likely to be refused. This new policy only applies to L-1 renewals and L-2 dependents who are trying to renew along with the principal applicant. L-1 applicants going for an initial application or L-1 applications for commuter/intermittent L-1 applications (meaning applicants who live in Canada and spend less than 6 months in the U.S. each year), should still be able to have their applications adjudicated at the border.

You can set up a consultation by clicking the link below.


To find out more about our services and fees contact Scott Legal, P.C

This website and blog constitutes attorney advertising.  Do not consider anything in this website or blog legal advice and nothing in this website constitutes an attorney-client relationship being formed.  Set up a one-hour consultation with us before acting on anything you read here. Past results are no guarantee of future results and prior results do not imply or predict future results.  Each case is different and must be judged on its own merits.

Leave a Reply

Get Your Free L-1 Visa Guide

We are happy to offer our L-1 visa guide that describes the L-1 visa requirements, and other advise to assist with your L-1 visa application.  We would be happy to set up a consultation at your convenience so that we can guide you through the L-1 Visa process.  You can access our L-1 visa Service Page with several L-1 visa videos and articles by clicking here.

Select list(s) to subscribe to

By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: Scott Legal, P.C., 2 Park Avenue, New York, NY, 10016, http://www.legalservicesincorporated.com. You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact