Does My Spouse have to Apply for an E-2 Visa at the Same Time as Me?  Can my Spouse Apply for an E-2 Visa Later?

When a primary applicant is granted an E-2 visa, the spouse and children under 21 can also obtain E-2 visas.  While many applicants process their applications at the same time, this is not required. Instead, a spouse and/or children can apply for an E-2 visa after the primary applicant has been granted the visa.

For the dependents to apply, they will need a copy of the primary applicants E-2 visa and documents showing the familial relationship.  (eg. marriage certificate and/or birth certificate)

The primary applicant does not have to accompany the dependents to the interview and the dependents do not have to process the visa at the same place as the primary applicant.

The E-2 visa for dependents will be issued for the same amount of time as the primary applicant.

To find out more about the full set of E-2 visa requirements click here.

To find out more about the new rules or other investor visas, contact Scott Legal, P.C.


Ian E. Scott, Esq. is the Founder of Scott Legal, P.C. He can be reached at 212-223-2964 or by email at

This website and blog constitutes attorney advertising.  Do not consider anything in this website or blog legal advice and nothing in this website constitutes an attorney-client relationship being formed.  Set up a one-hour consultation with us before acting on anything you read here. Past results are no guarantee of future results and prior results do not imply or predict future results.  Each case is different and must be judged on its own merits.