Let’s analyze the following scenario: Your parents sponsored you for a green card under the F2A category (children of green card holders). You got your green card but after you got your green card, your parents abandoned their green cards. You may now be asking whether the fact that your parents abandoned your green card has any effect on you as they originally sponsored you for it.

The short answer is that this will depend on how old you were when your parents abandoned their green cards and whether you and your parents left the U.S.

If you left the U.S. with your parents and you parents abandoned their green cards after you turned 18 years, then their abandonment will not be imputed to you and has no effect on you. You may renew your green card and you can also apply for a U.S. citizenship.

If you left the U.S. with your parents and you parents s abandoned their green cards while you were in their custody and control and you were under 18, then their abandonment may be imputed to you. There will have to be clear and convincing evidence that your parents lacked a continuous uninterrupted intent to return to the U.S.

Please see our blog post on how to maintain your green card when you click here.

You can set up a consultation by clicking the link below.


To find out more about our services and fees contact Scott Legal, P.C

This website and blog constitutes attorney advertising.  Do not consider anything in this website or blog legal advice and nothing in this website constitutes an attorney-client relationship being formed.  Set up a one-hour consultation with us before acting on anything you read here. Past results are no guarantee of future results and prior results do not imply or predict future results.  Each case is different and must be judged on its own merits.