I changed my status in the U.S. from B-1 to E-2. Can my spouse apply for an E-2 visa at a Consulate abroad if I was never issued an E-2 visa?

By July 1, 2020October 21st, 2020E-2 Visa, Immigration, Investor Visas

Let’s analyze the following scenario: you came to the U.S. on a B-1 visa and filed a Change of Status application with USCIS asking to change your status to an E-2. Your spouse is currently outside the U.S. and would like to apply for an E-2 spousal visa rather than coming to the U.S. on a B-1/B-2 visa and changing status in the U.S. The question then arises: Can your spouse apply for an E-2 spousal visa if you as the principal applicant never got an E-2 visa at the Consulate?

The short answer is: yes.

The Foreign Affairs Manual states that beneficiaries who are following and/or joining the principal visa holders can be issued a visa even thought the principal applicant (you in the case above) was never issued a visa. One condition is that the principal applicant in the U.S. must be maintaining the non-immigrant visa status. In your case, that would mean that you have to be in the U.S. on an E-2 status and you are complying with the E-2 visa requirements.

What documents should your spouse bring to the Consulate?

Your spouse should bring the following documents to the Consulate:

  • Marriage certificate (if you have children who would like to also apply for the E-2 dependent visa they should bring their birth certificates),
  • Copy of your I-797A approval notice,
  • Copy of your passport,
  • Copy of your most recent I-94 form.

Your spouse should also visit the website of the Consulate where he/she will be applying for the visa/reach out to the Consulate to see if there are any additional documents he/she  should bring to the interview.

Please read our blog post on whether you should file a change of status with USCIS or apply for an E-2 visa at a Consulate when you click here.

You can set up a consultation by clicking the link below.


To find out more about our services and fees contact Scott Legal, P.C

This website and blog constitutes attorney advertising.  Do not consider anything in this website or blog legal advice and nothing in this website constitutes an attorney-client relationship being formed.  Set up a one-hour consultation with us before acting on anything you read here. Past results are no guarantee of future results and prior results do not imply or predict future results.  Each case is different and must be judged on its own merits.

Leave a Reply

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.