We seek a part-time or full-time immigration associate with a minimum of 2 years of immigration experience as a lawyer. We are not considering applicants that do not have at least 2 years of direct immigration experience as a lawyer. Remote work would be considered depending on your location.
Scott Legal, P.C. focuses on business immigration cases for employers, investors, and entrepreneurs, (E-2, TN, O-1, EB-1, National Interest Waiver (NIW), EB-5, H-1B, Green Cards, and L visas), and to a lesser extent also processes other immigration petitions such as family-based petitions, and immigration waivers. The firm has a strong advocacy focus, and engages in limited immigration litigation.
In addition to the immigration services, the firm offers entrepreneurial support to the new business owners including drafting business plans, setting up business entities, and assisting with other business law needs.
When dealing with immigration cases, you will determine the best immigration strategy for the client, perform legal research on issues, advise the client, draft legal documents, complete the relevant immigration forms and compile supporting documentation. Your duties will also include maintaining frequent communication with clients, automating office processes, helping implement office-wide quality control procedures, writing articles for our blog, conducting webinars, attending networking events and other tasks as required. Strong time management and organizational skills are essential to effectively handle the high-volume of cases that will be assigned. You will also focus on attracting clients to the firm, reaching out to local communities and forging relationships with other lawyers and groups.
We are looking for someone who pays attention to detail, writes well, has a positive attitude and work ethic, and loves immigration and business law. The associate will have a significant amount of client interaction and will conduct consultations. You must have at least 2 years of experience as an immigration lawyer and this is the minimum experience we will consider. There is no need to apply if you do not have at least 2 years of immigration experience as a lawyer.
Our firm has a very high standard for our work product and client communication and we are looking for similar minded people. A typical full-time work-week will be around 45 hours, but the focus of your evaluation will be on your productivity, the quality of the output and your attitude. Also, we are looking for someone who is flexible and can cater to our unpredictable client needs. If you are looking for a 9-5 job or a job where you will not have to, based on client needs, work on some weekends or stay late when needed during the week, this job is not for you. That being said, we believe strongly in a work life balance, so overtime is the exception rather than the rule.
- D. degree and license to practice law (any State & Canadian Lawyers would also be considered)
- 2 years of experience as an immigration lawyer. Prior business immigration experience is not required but is a plus.
- Background with automation using information technology and willingness to embrace technology to automate processes is strongly preferred. Past experience in this area is a strong plus as the associate will assist with technology aspects of the firm.
- An attorney bringing a book of business is also a plus but not required. A significant plus though is an attorney that has a demonstrated ability to attract clients and network within various local communities. In time, the associate will be expected to regularly assist with attracting new clients.
- Knowledge of written and spoken Spanish or other languages is a plus but is not required.
Position Type & Location:
- Full or Part-time
- New York City based but remote work would be considered depending on your location and whether the role was full or part-time.
- 3 weeks of paid time off annually
- Commensurate with experience & local market
- Health Benefits
- 401K plan matching
- Incentive based pay for business development
What to Submit: (only applicants that follow these instructions will be considered)*
- Cover letter which includes your salary expectations and whether you are seeking full or part-time employment.
- Salary expectations must be included in the cover letter (a dollar amount is required & applications without this will not be considered)
* ALL information that you send to us will be verified and validated and we will extensively check references including a verification of who we are speaking to. In addition, the candidate will be required to complete a short case study if the first interview goes well.