Do E-2 investment funds have to come from my home country? Can my E-2 investment come from money I made in the U.S.? Where can the E-2 Investment come from?

By September 27, 2019E-2 Visa

An E-2 visa requires a substantial investment (usually over $100,000) and this money must be spent on all of the things needed to get the business ready to conduct business.  You can find out more about the E-2 visa requirements by clicking here.   You can find out more about the investment amount by clicking here.

One question our E-2 clients have had is:  Does the investment have to come from the Treaty Country?  That is, if an applicant is from Canada, would the investment funds have to originate and/or come from Canada?

The short answer is no.  For an E-2 visa, the investment funds can come from anywhere, provided that the source is legitimate.  For more information on legitimate source of funds for E-2 visas click here.  For example, if a Canadian applicant was working in the U.S. on an H-1B visa and earned the investment funds through employment in the U.S., these funds could be used for an E-2 investment.  Similarly, if the applicant borrowed money from a relative in Australia, this is also fine to use as the investment.

You can set up a consultation by clicking the link below.


To find out more about our services and fees contact Scott Legal, P.C

This website and blog constitutes attorney advertising.  Do not consider anything in this website or blog legal advice and nothing in this website constitutes an attorney-client relationship being formed.  Set up a one-hour consultation with us before acting on anything you read here. Past results are no guarantee of future results and prior results do not imply or predict future results.  Each case is different and must be judged on its own merits.

Leave a Reply