Court Rules Son Born Abroad to Same Sex Couple is US Citizen

By October 13, 2020Family Immigration

The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Los Angeles ruled on Friday that a four year old boy conceived from sperm from an Israeli father and born in Canada using a surrogate mother was a US citizen. The boy’s parents, an Israeli father and a US citizen father, were married at the time the boy was born.

When the boy was born, his parents applied for a US passport for him at the consulate in Toronto. The consult initially issued the passport, however, the State Department rescinded the passport on the basis that the boy was not the biological child of the US citizen father.

The appeals court ruled that the law does not require a child to show a biological relationship if their parents were married at the time of their birth. The appeals court granted the boy US citizenship.

For more information about sponsoring family members for green cards, please click here.

You can set up a consultation by clicking the link below.


To find out more about our services and fees contact Scott Legal, P.C

This website and blog constitutes attorney advertising.  Do not consider anything in this website or blog legal advice and nothing in this website constitutes an attorney-client relationship being formed.  Set up a one-hour consultation with us before acting on anything you read here. Past results are no guarantee of future results and prior results do not imply or predict future results.  Each case is different and must be judged on its own merits.

Leave a Reply

Scott Legal Contact Form

Thank you for connecting with us.  We would be happy to assist you.  We would be happy to send you free information on a number of topics including Immigration Guides (E-1, E-2, L-1, H-1B, & TN), Videos, and Immigration Webinars.  We are a full service immigration law and business law firm and here to help.

Select list(s) to subscribe to

By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: Scott Legal, P.C., 2 Park Avenue, New York, NY, 10016, You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact