Can I study in the U.S. on a B-2 tourist visa?

By August 17, 2020December 15th, 2020Questions & Answers

B-2 visa is a non-immigrant visa for temporary visitors who want to visit the United States for pleasure. Please note that if you qualify for ESTA, you can come to the U.S. as a Visa Waiver Visitor and you do not have to apply for a B-2 visa at a Consulate.

Our clients often ask us whether they can enroll in a short course while they are here on a B-2 tourist visa or as an ESTA visitor.

The short answer is that it will depend. B-2 visa visitors can engage in studying/course that is of an avocational or recreational nature.

You can enroll in a short course if:

  • The course/study is not for credit
  • The course/study is not leading towards a degree or certificate
  • The purpose of the course is recreational/avocational

For example, if you are in the U.S. as a B-2  visitor and you want to take a 5 day pottery/painting/cooking class, that is completely fine as long as the course is incidental to your visit and is recreational in nature.

Also, if you are in the U.S. primarily for tourism but you also want to take an English language course for couple weeks, that is fine as long as the course is below 18 hours per week.

Please click here to find out what visa you should apply for in case you want to attend a professional conference/seminar.

You can set up a consultation by clicking the link below.


To find out more about our services and fees contact Scott Legal, P.C

This website and blog constitutes attorney advertising.  Do not consider anything in this website or blog legal advice and nothing in this website constitutes an attorney-client relationship being formed.  Set up a one-hour consultation with us before acting on anything you read here. Past results are no guarantee of future results and prior results do not imply or predict future results.  Each case is different and must be judged on its own merits.

Leave a Reply