E-1 visa is a great visa for treaty traders who engage in international trade between the U.S. and their home treaty country.

One of the E-1 requirements is that your purpose of coming to the U.S. on an E-1 visa is to solely engage in substantial trade. Our clients are often confused by the word “solely” and they often ask us whether they can enroll into a school.

The short answer is yes. The regulations clarify that the word solely in this context means “principally”, “mostly”, or “overall.” Therefore, you can enroll into a University program without violating your E-1 status. However, one thing you should keep in mind is that because you are in the U.S. on an E-1 visa, your primary purpose should be to engage in an international trade. If you are studying full-time, the Consular Officer could be questioning how are you taking care of the E-1 business and engaging in the substantial trade.

Can my spouse study on E-1 spousal visa?

Yes. Your spouse may enroll into school if he/she is in the U.S. on an E-1 spousal visa.

Please click here to read about all E-1 visa requirements.

Please click here if you want to find out whether your spouse needs a work authorization if he/she is in the U.S. on an E-1 visa.

You can set up a consultation by clicking the link below.


To find out more about our services and fees contact Scott Legal, P.C

This website and blog constitutes attorney advertising.  Do not consider anything in this website or blog legal advice and nothing in this website constitutes an attorney-client relationship being formed.  Set up a one-hour consultation with us before acting on anything you read here. Past results are no guarantee of future results and prior results do not imply or predict future results.  Each case is different and must be judged on its own merits.