We are looking for an experienced business immigration associate. The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 2 solid years of experience processing immigration petitions. Experience with E-2 Visas, PERM, waivers and extraordinary petitions (O-1, EB-1 & NIW) are a plus.
Scott Legal, P.C. focuses on business immigration cases for employers, investors and entrepreneurs, (E-2, EB-5, H-1B, EB-1, EB-2, EB-3, O visas, NIW, PERM and L visas), but you will also handle other immigration cases such as family based petitions, immigration waivers and other immigration legal research. When dealing with immigration cases, you will determine the best immigration strategy for the client, perform legal research on issues, advise the client, draft legal documents, complete the relevant immigration forms and compile supporting documentation. The lawyer should be prepared to take full ownership of their cases and develop end to end strategies. In addition to the immigration services, the firm offers entrepreneurial support to the new business owners so you will also draft business contracts, draft business plans, set up corporations and draft shareholder and other corporate agreements.
Your duties will also include maintaining frequent communication with clients, automating office processes, supervising interns and paralegals as needed, helping implement office-wide quality control procedures, writing articles for blog, attending networking events and other tasks as required. Strong time management and organizational skills are essential to effectively handle the high-volume of cases that will be assigned. You will also focus on attracting clients to the firm by attending networking events, reaching out to local communities and forging relationships with other lawyers and groups.
We are looking for an experienced immigration attorney who pays attention to detail, can develop case strategy, writes well, has a positive attitude and work ethic, and loves immigration and business law. The minimum amount of immigration experience required is 2 years and applicants who have less than that need not apply. The associate will also have a significant amount of client interaction. You must have a demonstrated interest in immigration law. You must be able to handle a large number of cases at one time and have excellent organizational skills.
Our firm has a very high standard for our work product and client communication and we are looking for similar minded people. A typical work-week will be around 45 hours, but the focus of your evaluation will be on your productivity and output, the quality of the output and your attitude. Also, we are looking for someone who is flexible and can cater to our unpredictable client needs. The job is focused on client needs so at times the associate will be required to check email and/or perform work functions on some weekends or stay late when needed during the week. Associates are expected to check emails periodically while out of the office and respond where appropriate. That being said, we believe strongly in a work life balance so overtime is the exception rather than the rule.
Salary, Vacation & Benefits:
- Salary Commensurate with relevant experience
- 2-3 weeks of paid time off annually
- Contribution towards health care and 401K plan
- Medical, dental and vision benefits
- Incentive plan for bringing in clients – 20%
What to Submit*
- Cover letter describing the interest in immigration and/or business law
- Law School Transcripts
- Writing sample
* ALL information that you send to us will be verified and validated and we will extensively check references including a verification of who we are speaking to. In addition, the candidate may be required to complete a short case study if the first interview goes well. Send information to email@example.com
- J.D. degree and license to practice law in any State but a New York State law license is preferred.
- Knowledge of other languages is a plus but not required.
- Minimum of 2 years of solid relevant business or complex family based immigration experience required. This means that you have filed numerous petitions independently and are very familiar with immigration filings and USCIS. PERM or other business immigration filings (L-1, E-2, EB-2, EB-1, NIW, O-1, H-1B) and/or complex family based filings (waivers, complicated marriage petitions, removals) are considered relevant immigration experience for this position. Prior experience in business or corporate work is not required, but is a plus. Immigration experience filing waivers, removal or family based petitions is a plus but not required.
- Background with automation using information technology and willingness to embrace technology to automate processes is strongly preferred. Past experience in this area is a strong plus as the associate will assist with technology aspects of the firm.
- An attorney bringing a book of business is also a plus but not required. A significant plus though is an attorney that has a demonstrated ability to attract clients and network within various local communities. In time, the associate will be expected to regularly assist with attracting new clients.
Additional Salary Information: The experience requirement is a minimum of 2 years of solid immigration experience. We are not considering new attorneys or attorneys that do not have the experience requirement.
About Scott Legal, P.C.
Scott Legal, P.C. is a New York based law firm founded by Harvard Law School graduate & Attorney Ian E. Scott. We are an Immigration and Business Law Firm & provide legal services in Business Immigration for Investors & Employment, Family Based and Other Immigration Services, New Business Set-Up, Entrepreneurial Support, and Contract Development. We also provide InHouse General Counsel services for small and mid-sized businesses. Our immigration practice covers all areas of Immigration Law including the various Investor Visas (EB-5, L-1 & E-2 Visas), Green Cards, and employment-based Visas (H-1B, L-1, O-1, TN, EB-1, EB-2, & other) for individuals and companies. We can also help with waivers and family based petitions. We are EB-5 Verified by EB-5 Investor Magazine. Scott Legal, P.C. provides counsel to business owners and founders of new enterprises at various ranges of development and we offer a full range of startup legal services, including investor agreements, business plans, consultant and independent contractor agreements, financing (preferred stock, convertible debt or common stock) and venture capital financing. We have both a C.P.A. and M.B.A. on staff and are ready to help.